Re: Re-authentication proposal for LedgerSMB 1.3 (HTTP Auth)

On 10/2/07, David Tangye <..hidden..> wrote:

On 10/3/07, Joshua D. Drake < ..hidden..> wrote:
Anyone who thinks a "user" should be able to install LSMB or PostgreSQL
is frankly, in a fantasy world.

OK I guess all the users that use ubuntu, the biggest distro in linux, must all be in a fantasy world. They just click to install the Database server or Web server, and it happens. Some probably dont even know which DBMS and webserver it is. Apparently this is even more simplified in ubuntu 710, due out this month.

Personally, we tend to argue a lot about who our userbase is.  Personally I don't think it matters to this conversation.  We should do what is technically right first and them worry about making it user friendly.  The fact of the matter is we will eventually run into an increasing set of compatibility issues (for example there are already a number of browsers that do not work at all with LedgerSMB, such as W3M, Pocket IE, and IE 6 and earlier).

And it appears that this proposal will cause some issues with IIS support as well.

Perhaps more effort needs to made with the LSMB installer. I still am not running it because it does not install on a standard ubuntu desktop box.

Agreed, at least as far as Windows goes.  But consider Ubuntu.  Do you *really* want us writing global options to your Apache configuration file, possibly ovewriting SSL options, etc?  I think the case can be made that on Linux, the responsibiloity for setting up the servers beyond some basic settings, should be the responsibility of the administrator.