LSMB fails with Ubuntu (Feisty)

HI anyone,

I can confirm that if you have a standard Ubuntu distro and follow the instructions in the INSTALL file that is released in ledgersmb 1.2.7 the installed software will fail. Related symptoms, as noted yesterday, might be:

1. AR screens fail. The tax is correct on insert of the first record inserted only. On others the screen neither calculates nor shows tax.
2. Admin buttons for Update and Delete of a database are missing.

There could be other symptoms. I have not checked any transaction screens beyond AR.

The problem seems to be to do with cpan, which is something I know nothing about (and quite frankly, would rather not have to know anything about.) As mentioned before, the instructions are incomplete, but I reran cpan, and the install Class:Std and Config:Std commands, then tried a Build command, whatever that is. I presume that this is installing software outside of debian package control, (which I am not very happy about, as this is crying out as a potential source of problem in the future) As the attached output and error files show, it seems that cpan did not run successfully.

I am wondering if the line about 'C_support not enabled', which appears in various places, means I ought to have a C development package of some sort installed.

Can anyone please tell me what to do next to fix this?

Cheers
David Tangye

--
The Last Great Frontier is in Your Mind