Re: Roles for 1.3-- feedback?

Hi,

Wow. This looks very complicated, quite involved, and a pain in the butt
to administer. And my suggestions will probably make it worse...

I'm not seeing anything wrong with the list, but I'm wondering about
what's missing. What comes to mind are contact management things, like
associating contacts with employees, customers, vendors, etc -- seems
like you wouldn't want someone who can create a customer to create an
employee. Mainly things around the HR functionality, stuff we would want
to extend for Payroll.

The other suggestion I have is to have some sort of group functionality,
so we don't need to configure every single user with each associated
right. I'm thinking of groups such as "cashier", "shipping/receiving",
"AP", etc, which can be associated with sets of rights. Then can add
users to these groups and override individual permissions only if
necessary. Maybe this is already planned?

Cheers,

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"

Chris Travers wrote:
> Some information is presumed public (meaning user-accessible), such as
> the structure of the CoA but not necessarily the balances or
> transactions. We could add permissions on these somewhere in 1.4 as
> well but the dependencies are likely to take a while to sort out.
>
> I:  Contact Management:
> create_contact
> edit_contact
> read_contact
> contact_all_rights (member of all of the above)

<snip>