Custom input fields/tables

Sorry (again) if this is a double (or triple) post...... I haven't seen it post yet. I've obviously done something wrong...

I've done some work on converting a client of mine to SQL-Ledger.  This work
includes some custom fields in a custom table for inventory items, as well as
some customizations in inventory processing within the invoicing system.  I'd
like to convert them to Ledger-SMB instead.

Is the provision of using 'custom_' scripts on front end modules going to be
changed/removed at some point in Ledger-SMB?  If so, will there be any provision
for customization within Ledger-SMB that could be carried forward over upgrades?

Ted Onley