Re: The current thinking on the next LedgerSMB architecture.

Hi Ole;

I think you may have misunderstood how exactly we are going forward.  Our general roadmap (on our web site) specifies that 1.3 will feature the first version of the new architecture, and a movement of contact management facilities to it.  1.4 will feature the move of the financial transactions to the new architecture.  1.5-2.0 will mostly be cleanup releases, removing the last of the legacy code.  Note that it is unlikely that we can really start to move the application towards a specific target market until after 1.4 simply because the current codebase ties the user interface and to the program logic way too closely.  However, we are already discussing who that target market is and what is needed to get there.

We are re-engineering pieces in place for now, using the existing codebase not only as a point of departure and discussion but also as a support for the work we are doing, so that we can deliver incrimental changes without being tied to the old architecture.

I think most of your recommendations indicate you are assuming we are going from 1.2 to 2.0 directly.  Instead it is going to be a more gradual process. Rather than design all the requirements at once, we are working on them one piece at a time, as it comes up, and as we can get to it.