Re: Proposed conventions for plpgsql coding for 1.3 and beyond

--- Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
> Since 1.3 will be our first release with substantial logic
> encapsulated in the database, I wanted to get discussion started on
> coding conventions.  Currently we are targetting the code for
> PostgreSQL 8.0 through 8.2 but want to ensure it is reasonably
> future-safe.

Can you discuss the criteria for procedural language selection? I'm curious to
know whether PL/pgSQL will be the sole procedural language used, or whether
PL/perl is expected to be used in some areas of the LedgerSMB in-database
implementation.

I'm interested in this question mostly for installation and maintenance
reasons, e.g. the impact it has on installers, manual setup, dataset loading,
dependency package updates, etc. Thanks.

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.