Re: Installer

Hi,

Chris Travers wrote:.
> The Bitrock installer is an interesting tool and I have some
> experience with it, but it is also somewhat limited in what it can do.
>  My vote is to continue to try to create native installation packages
> for target platforms.  Currently we are releasing .rpms, .deb's, and
> Gentoo ebuilds.
>
> If someone in the community wants to contribute a Bitrock installer
> package, I would have no problem with us mentioning it.   We can
> provide links to the maintainers' web sites so that they can get more
> credit.
>
> On 2/21/07, Michael Timmons <..hidden..> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone considered creating an installer for LedgerSMB?
>>
>> Bitrock has a nice installer and they already have an Apache/Postgre/PHP
>> stack that could be used as the basis for creating an installer for
>> LedgerSMB.

I've been looking at Rpath for this type of thing. Haven't done one yet,
but as virtual machines come to prominence, this seems like a great path
for the future...

Rpath basically provides tools to make it simple to manage your own
tailored distribution. We could bundle Apache, Postgres, and Ledger-SMB
into something that can run from a bootable CD, a VMWare image, a Xen
image, or an ISO installer...

Cheers,

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"