Re: future of LedgerSMB

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Chris,
>
>> The core application is probably going to remain in Perl for the
>> foreseable future and probably far longer.  However, we are working on
>> adding hooks so that additional functionality could be added in other
>> languages.  Rewriting the entire application in Python seems both
>> unnecessary and time consuming, but that doesn't mean that Python
>> add-on's cannot be supported.

Honestly.... the whole thing needs a rewrite anyway ;) it doesn't matter
what language we write it in. Moving to the MVC model is going to
require reworking such large portions of the code anyway, I doubt we
would see any gain from either staying with the existing code base or
moving to a new one with the same model. Especially considering the
amount of processing we are going to push into SP.

> Hmmm ... I would argue that we'll want to move a whole accounting API into
> stored procedures before we start supporting 3rd-party add-ons.  Once we have
> the SP's, we can open it up for other people's add-ons with the promise that
> financial data will be uncompromised.

That is what the current plan is :)

> In the realm of general structure, I'm uncomfortable with the fact that SMB
> does not have a GL *table*.  While there's nothing innaccurate with doing the
> P&L on the fly by adding up AR and AP, it's both inefficient and does not
> provide us with a cross-checking layer in the database which would make data
> errors easy to detect and resolve.  So I'd like to explore adding a GL table
> to the data model.

It is on my list to re-evaluate the *entire* model.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/