Re: Proposal: New web site maintainers

Hello,

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

I am not really interested in moving the site but I am certainly
interested in having people contribute to the success of it. I even put
out a call for people to help us in the past.

I have disabled the comments for now. People should be using the mailing
list anyway.

What needs to happen with the website is:

1. Updated to the latest 6.x of Drupal
2. Captcha added for comments (and probably sign up)

The first two are relatively easy and can be done by myself or one of my
staff.

We're managing 30+ Drupal installations, and keep a central git repository with a bunch of common contrib modules, making it so we can roll out updates in a matter of a minute or two (and roll back if there's a problem).

Captchas are very simple to enable, and we also have recently been impressed with the "spam" module for filtering out comments based on their spammyness, complete with a Bayesian filter.

Again, this type of stuff is what we do every day. I'd be happy to install our tools on your server and manage it there if you can provide shell access and install git.

One other potential reason to move: the power tools for managing Drupal (drush being the main one) now depend on relatively recent versions of PHP -- at least PHP 5.2. Your server's reporting 5.1.6. That can mean the difference between 45 minutes doing an update, or 45 seconds. (and yet many Drupal modules are only now becoming compatible with PHP 5.3...)

3. A small www team to help manage content and keep the website up to
date.

This is the part that we need to community help on.

It does sound like there are several people on the list volunteering to help, we just need access and to agree on some guidelines.

What's next?

Cheers,
John Locke
Manager, Freelock Computing