Proposal: New web site maintainers

"Hi,

There's a growing amount of dissension on the lists about all the spam on the ledgersmb.org web site, and it generally looks like it's been overrun by neglect. I think the project would benefit tremendously by allowing more of the community to contribute to the site, and allow the core team to focus on development.

I understand that Command Prompt currently hosts the site, and that the person who originally set up the site is no longer with us.

Proposal part 1:

I would like to offer hosting and Drupal updates for the site, as a contribution to the project.

Freelock Computing is a Drupal development, maintenance, and support shop in Seattle, and we have a long history of working with open source projects. Providing a home for the LedgerSMB web site would be a privilege. And Drupal development and maintenance is what we do.

We would take care of applying security updates for the site and modules, and coordinating any website code-related changes, installation of desired modules, etc.

Proposal part 2:

I recommend encouraging more active participation of the community on the web site. I suggest opening up some administrative privileges to known community members, allowing them to post articles, moderate comments, and generally encourage more activity --- so that we don't get questions in IRC like "Um, is the project still alive?"

Summary

I think we can cultivate a lot larger community, which will eventually lead to a lot more contributions, if we start by cleaning up the web site. And that's a job the core team shouldn't need to spend much time with -- I'd much rather see the core team getting 1.3 rolled out the door than spending a lot of time and effort cleaning up the web site -- when there's a lot of non-core people on the mailing lists who would be happy to help out.

If this proposal is accepted, there's basically only two steps that need to happen for us to get started: 1 - provide us a database dump of the current site along with the site files, and 2 - Chris points the DNS records to our name servers. We could make it happen within a day.

I hope you will consider this proposal -- we like LedgerSMB and want to see it succeed.

Cheers,
--
John Locke
Manager, Freelock Computing