From: Robert J. Clay <..hidden..>
Date: Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [ledgersmb-users] Debian packages for LedgerSMB
To: Nicolas Couchoud <..hidden..>

 Hi Nicolas!

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM Nicolas Couchoud
<..hidden..> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   As far as I have understood, there are two sorts of Debian packages for
> LedgerSMB :
> * Debian regular repositories just contain packages called « ledgersmb » ;

  Yes, that's the official Debian package for the LedgerSMB
application (which also migrates over to the developmental version of
Ubuntu).  The most recent is the one for the most recently released
version of LedgerSMB, 1.6.9.  (Released just a few days ago.)

> * your repository apt.ledgersmb.org contains packages with names like

  Yes, the ledgersmb-1.5 packages are for the 1.5.x versions of
LedgerSMB, with the latest being v1.5.24 (just released a few days
ago).  The ones like  ledgersmb-1.5-apache are for web proxies if one
wants to use one.  The 1.5.x versions will be supported by the project
until December of this year (2019) when it will see its End Of Life
for community support..
   There are also the ledgersmb-1.6 packages, which are for the 1.6.x
versions of the LedgerSMB application (the current stable).  It also
has the associated packages for a web proxy selection.

>   So, I feel a bit lost... Is there one preferred sort of package ? Are
> some of these obsolete ?

   The ledgersmb-1.5 packages aren't "obsolete" but they are for the
old-stable version of LedgerSMB (1.5.x), which as noted will see End
of Life in December 2019.  (Whereas the 1.6.x versions are good for
LedgerSMB Community Support until December of 2021.)  Their advantage
is that due to the availability of dependencies, the ledgersmb-1.5
packages can be backported to older versions of Debian (or Ubuntu)
than the ledgersmb-1.6 packages currently can be.

  The primary difference between the 'ledgersmb' package and the
'ledgersmb-1.x' packages is that due to Debian Policy (regarding
embedded libraries), the ledgersmb packages uses the system installed
packages for the Dojo libraries while the ledgersmb-1.x packages use
the embedded versions of the Dojo libraries that are released with
each version of the LedgerSMB application.

--
Robert James Clay
..hidden.., ..hidden..

--