error when adding item to sales order

Hi
using LedgerSMB 1.4.4.
I am getting an intermittent error.
I have a database set up with a lot of parts (>18,000).
I go to order entry - > sales order.
I enter items (using item number) and a quantity for each item.
This works well.
Occasionally I get an error as below.
I can use back arrow and save the order fine.
I cannot add any more items to this order (I can open a new order and work away). This does not happen at the same point in the order (one order I have 104 items before it happens others fewer).
I get the same error if I add an item by Description.

any pointers? I have been trying to find a non number in a numercal field but can't find one.

thanks

Bill

Error!

'LedgerSMB::PGNumber Invalid Number at LedgerSMB/PGNumber.pm line 167.
'

dbversion: 1.4.4, company: JelanTest