What can you do with a disk image?

Hi,

Nowadays there are a several virtualization techniques on the market, lot of them are free. I limit the question to the "full" virtualization: virtualbox, kvm, microsoft version (whatever they called), xen (maybe).

I would like to know, what can you do with a simple disk image, which holds a complete 32 bit system?

Bye,

István