Re: installation errors

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:09 AM, Robert J. Clay <..hidden..> wrote:
Darald,

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Robert J. Clay <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:29 AM, o1bigtenor <..hidden..> wrote:
>> In the process of installing LedgerSMB I made some mistakes.

   Which version of Ubuntu are actually running?

Running Debian testing actually.
This was the best installation instruction sheet that I could find.

>> This is the instruction file that I was following:
>>
>> Ubuntu Installation Tutorial: LedgerSMB-1.3-SERIES

   That's a bit old and needs to be updated, if only to note that
packaged versions of LedgeSMB have been in Ubuntu since v12.10; and
also that work on backports to 12.10 & 12.04 have been started and
currently LedgerSMB 1.3.25 packages are available for Ubuntu v12.04 &
v12.10 at the LedgerSMB package archive at Launchpad [1].  Also
started on Ubuntu related backports for the
libtemplate-plugin-latex-perl package and currently also have packages
for Ubuntu v12.04 & v13.04.

>> This is the area where the problems occurred:
>>
>> Before we make test we have to install the Latex Perl Module; otherwise test
>> will fail:
>>
>> sudo cpan Template::Latex

   One way or another because that module has been packaged, that
shouldn't be needed;  but how you can get the correct package rather
depends on which version of Ubuntu you're running.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - - -  that's sort of the question.

Interesting. How is one to know about these things when what I am using was here:

Home»Ubuntu Installation Tutorial: LedgerSMB-1.3-SERIES

that is to say that this was what is on the LedgerSMB website under download and the Installation. It would seem that the documentation is somewhat behind the practice (this makes things difficult for us non-hacker types!).

I would be willing to help keep the documentation up to date but first I NEED a working installation (I have need of this program!!).

Darald