Cash reporting of Advances on AR

Hi,

I'm writing this to the users list, because I'm not sure what the
correct behavior should be, looking for an accountant to weigh in on that.

In the past year, we've started collecting payment up front as an
overpayment/prepayment, into a liability account. We keep it there until
the final invoice is sent for the project, and then we apply that
pre-payment to the last invoice.

As best I can tell, the Accrual-based reporting all looks correct, but
I'm thinking if I need to do a cash-based income statement, that
prepayment should show up somewhere (and I'm thinking it would be
taxable -- we're collecting the cash now and doing the invoice later --
but we need to pay tax on the cash basis).

I'm testing LSMB 1.4 to see how this works, and what I'm finding is that
the overpayment received does not show up anywhere on the income
statement, until it's received against an invoice. As I write through
this, I'm having a hard time seeing any other way to do it -- we need to
apply the overpayment to an invoice to know what account to put the
income into -- and when we do apply that overpayment, it will show up as
cash revenue for the date the payment is applied (I'm assuming, have not
verified this).

Is it routine in cash reporting to not report deposits as income? If so,
this should be fine for us. The biggest issue here is knowing when the
overpayment was applied -- you cannot see any indication of the
overpayment getting applied on the invoice itself, only on the general
ledger for the overpayment account.

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com