Re: Seek more attention; Re: Better tools for community cohesion?

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 2:36 AM, Marjan Waldorp <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi Erik, Chris,,,

If the LSMB project wants to seek more attention, there might be some issues to consider:

1. Move to Git
Today SVN is really old fashioned.
This might label LSMB as old fashioned and might distract new developers.
Move to Git! github?
We moved from SVN to Git ourselves. Git is the better tool, definitely.

I still don't feel comfortable enough using it.  I think it would make some sense to continue to place more of the spinoff modules and side projects on Git at present though.

2. Be present on CPAN, the heart of the Perl community.

We are working towards this btw.  Right now the big problem is that "make install" has some annoying side effects.  I expect this to be fully cleaned up and figured out by 1.5 at the latest (1.4 will broadly speaking solve these issues, some more issues may be fixed during 1.4 stable).  Most of these issues are makefile related.

3. Consider rebasing LSMB onto Perl Dancer
Perl Dancer is a modern Web Application Framework.
It's powerfull, it's hot.

Not likely at first.

I do like what I have seen with Dancer, and once the code is reasonably modularized, it seems like it may be possible to rebase the web app on it.  Looking at it, it doesn't actually look like it would be that much work to do so.  However, I really don't want the headaches associated with handing over psgi handling of legacy code to a third party framework right now.

Our present goal, currently, is to re-modularize the code so that it does not have to be web-only (or even perl-only).  Our current framework is extremely good for that purpose.  Looking at the docs, I think it is likely that things could be rebased for the new code by rewriting just a few files.  I have serious doubts about how it could coexist with old code in that process however (for PSGI support on anything that caches code, we pretty much have to fork, run, and die with the old code because otherwise after a few page loads things go haywire).