missing Customer Tax Number (VAT number) in invoices

Hello,

I'm using LedgerSMB 1.3.25-1 (from Debian Wheezy) and cannot manage to print
the customer tax number in sales invoices

I'm using <?lsmb customertaxnumber ?> but that variable is empty

I just added a little custom code in invoice.html template adding a dump of
the Template Toolkit stash as HTML comment:

::

  <!--
  <?lsmb USE Stash -?>
  <?lsmb USE Dumper Indent = 1 -?>
  <?lsmb Dumper.dump( Stash.stash() ) ?>
  -->

and if I have a look at the HTML code resulting from the invoice.html
template I see:

    'customertaxnumber' => '',

I cannot find any other variable containing the "Tax Number" I enter for
each customer

any hint please?

Ciao
Giovanni