Re: Installing LedgerSMB on Windows 7 Professional

Robert, Chris, and onlookers:

On 7 January 2013 12:08, Hedley Finger <..hidden..> wrote:
The PostgreSQL installer advised that there were non-fatal errors during installation. ÂThe install-postgresql.log file (see Dropbox URI) contained a number of warnings:

Many registry entry errors of this form reported --
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.2 Data Directory. Setting variable iDataDirectory to empty value
...Â
Correct method of starting PostgreSQL --
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\bin\postgres" -D "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/9.2/data"
or
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\bin\pg_ctl" -D "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/9.2/data" -l logfile start
...Â
Script error --
Failed to install the 'adminpack' module in the 'postgres' database
loadmodules.vbs ran to completion
Script stderr:
Program ended with an error exit code
Error running cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\installer\server\loadmodules.vbs" "postgres" "****" "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2" "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\data" 5432 : Program ended with an error exit code

I assumed incorrectly that the installer would create the postgres superuser and handle everything, since I was logged on as an administrator. ÂYou actually have to create the postgres user with a password before running the installer:

  ÂC:\Users\Buster> net user "postgres" "password" /add

Then I tested this by logging on as postgres to Windows. No log file was created when I did this. Â

Question: is postgres only a superuser in respect of PostgreSQL or has also to be a superuser in respect of Windows? ÂI figured I could get by with granting permissions on the C:\Program_Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\* folder tree to postgres.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent StreetÂÂ Camberwell VIC 3124ÂÂ Australia
Tel: +61 3 9809 1229ÂÂ Mobile (cell): +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <..hidden..>