Re: Shipping after making a sale

On 05/12/2012 10:52, Chris Travers wrote:

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Brian Wolf <..hidden..> wrote:
One of our clients asked about shipping products after making a sale.
They created a sales order, and then a sales invoice (from the sales order).   Now, how do they ship it?  The sales invoice is not displayed in Under Shipping > Ship.

The currently supported workflow is that workflows can be shipped, not sales invoices.  The problem I see as far as our support right now is that payments can't be attached to orders.  In other words shipping happens prior to invoice.  I suspect that the shipping routines could be modified to track shipping of invoices.

I can see this might be a common requirement since very often you take a payment prior to shipping.  I have generally wanted to redo this as a part of redesigning order management with the idea that invoices could be issued after shipping (and I still want to do that) but I think we could really use something more immediate because this is a significant limitation.  Let me see what is involved in this and see whether we can offer this as a new feature in 1.4 and maybe a backport for 1.3.  My gut says this shouldn't be too difficult but I won't know for sure until I get into it.

Question for everyone else:  Is a "ship after invoice" workflow something that would be generally helpful to everyone else?

Having looked at this, it is not as simple as I had hoped.  I may be able to devote some time to it this week.    It doesn't look too bad though maybe with some extra time I will see an easier way to do this.

This would be amazingly helpful. We quite frequently get asked to provide a pro-forma invoice which can be used to use payment before shipping. Sometimes the customer is happy to raise an order against a quote and then transfer to an invoice but often they aren't. We don;t really have any way of getting around this apart from raising the sales order, marking the goods as shipped, raising the invoice and then holding the goods to one side until payment arrives, which is obviously less than satisfactory

Nigel