Re: Shipping after making a sale

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Brian Wolf <..hidden..> wrote:
One of our clients asked about shipping products after making a sale.
They created a sales order, and then a sales invoice (from the sales order).   Now, how do they ship it?  The sales invoice is not displayed in Under Shipping > Ship.

The currently supported workflow is that workflows can be shipped, not sales invoices.  The problem I see as far as our support right now is that payments can't be attached to orders.  In other words shipping happens prior to invoice.  I suspect that the shipping routines could be modified to track shipping of invoices.

I can see this might be a common requirement since very often you take a payment prior to shipping.  I have generally wanted to redo this as a part of redesigning order management with the idea that invoices could be issued after shipping (and I still want to do that) but I think we could really use something more immediate because this is a significant limitation.  Let me see what is involved in this and see whether we can offer this as a new feature in 1.4 and maybe a backport for 1.3.  My gut says this shouldn't be too difficult but I won't know for sure until I get into it.

Question for everyone else:  Is a "ship after invoice" workflow something that would be generally helpful to everyone else?