Reformatted my Centos 6 machine, reinstalled LedgerSMB, same problem again

Well, this is pretty amazing.  After finally getting LedgerSMB going the other
day, I reformatted the computer and did a complete new installation with the
intent of documenting the procedure.

And, believe it or not, I'm back again to a situation where I have the exact
same problem that I had the first time I did this installation:

 I have the initial screen as shown here:

http://ledgersmb.org/files/Screenshot%20at%202011-10-22%2013_13_54.png

However, every combination of username and password that I enter on that screen
very quickly flashes a "would you like to save this password" window that I
assume is generated by firefox, and it goes away on its own in less than a
second, to be replaced by the firefox "A username and password are being
requested by localhost..." popup window.  Entering anything or nothing in that
window brings up an "Access denied.  Bad username or password" window with an
OK button that returns me to the  Firefox "A username and password are being
requested by localhost..." popup window, which then takes me to the a
webpage that says "Status: 401 Unauthorized Please enter your credentials".

Here is what I have done so far, from my notes for the installation instructions
that I'm trying to write; can someone tell me what I have missed?

cd /usr/share/httpd/conf

cp /usr/share/ledgersmb/ledgersmb-httpd.conf.template ledgersmb-httpd.conf

Add the following line at the end of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:

# LedgerSMB

Include conf/ledgersmb-httpd.conf

Edit /usr/share/httpd/conf/ledgersmb-httpd.conf as follows:

Change this line:

Alias /ledgersmb WORKING_DIR/

To read as follows:

Alias /ledgersmb /usr/share/ledgersmb

Change all instances of WORKING_DIR in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ledgersmb.conf to
"ledgersmb" (without the quotes).

Edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf in two places.

1. Change the line that reads:

# AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

to read:

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

(Be sure to remove the # sign.)

2. Change the section that reads:

<Directory />

Options FollowSymLinks

AllowOverride None

</Directory>

so it now reads:

<Directory />

Options FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI

AllowOverride None

</Directory>

Start Apache:

service httpd start

Tell PostgreSQL to create database instance:

service postgresql initdb

Now we need to enable local password autentication in PosgreSQL, leaving ident
login for the postgres user.

Change  /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf to read as follows:

local   all     postgres                trust
local   all     all                     trust
host    all     all     127.0.0.1/32    trust
host    all     all     ::1/128         trust

I actually started off using ident on the first line and md5 on the other
lines, but when this didn't work I switched everything to trust.

Start PostgreSQL:

service postgresql start

Create the ledgersmb master user and database:

su - postgres -c "createuser -d ledgersmb --createdb --superuser -P"

Enter the password for the ledgersmb master user when prompted.

su - postgres -c "createdb ledgersmb"

su - postgres -c "createlang plpgsql ledgersmb"

su - postgres -c "psql ledgersmb < /usr/share/ledgersmb/sql/Pg-central.sql"

This command told me that Pg-central.sql did not exist.  I checked in that
directory and found Pg-database.sql, so I tried that command using
Pg-database.sql instead:

su - postgres -c "psql ledgersmb < /usr/share/ledgersmb/sql/Pg-database.sql"

This started off looking like it was doing something, but then gave me several
screens of errors and "rollback" messages, so it obviously didn't do whatever
it was supposed to do.

After doing some google searching I found this:

http://archive.ledgersmb.org/ledger-smb-users/msg05845.html

Therefore, I now know that the above command is no longer required.

Not knowing if I had screwed something up, I did this:

su - postgres -c "dropdb ledgersmb"

su - postgres -c "createdb ledgersmb"

su - postgres -c "createlang plpgsql ledgersmb"

Set up the password for the postgres master user:

su postgres -c psql template1

ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD 'postgres';

\q

Remove Unix user password for user postgres.  (I'm not sure if this is actually
necessary or not)

passwd -d postgres

Now when I browse to localhost/ledgersmb/setup.pl,  I have the initial screen
as shown here:

http://ledgersmb.org/files/Screenshot%20at%202011-10-22%2013_13_54.png

However, every combination of username and password that I enter on that screen
very quickly flashes a "would you like to save this password" window that I
assume is generated by firefox, and it goes away on its own in less than a
second, to be replaced by the firefox "A username and password are being
requested by localhost..." popup window.  Entering anything or nothing in that
window brings up an "Access denied.  Bad username or password" window with an
OK button that returns me to the  Firefox "A username and password are being
requested by localhost..." popup window, which then takes me to the a
webpage that says "Status: 401 Unauthorized Please enter your credentials".

And that's as far as I can get.

I have tried this:

su postgres

ledgersmb -c "update users_conf set password = md5('postgres') where id = 1;"

But nothing appears to change.

I have tried putting /etc/httpd/conf/ledgersmb-httpd.conf
into /etc/httpd/conf.d and adding the contents
of /etc/httpd/conf.d/ledgersmb.conf to the top of that file with no
apparent change.

I see no error messages in /var/log/httpd/error.log, /var/log/httpd/access.log,
or /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log.

I'm starting to think that I'll end up reformatting this machine again and
doing another scratch install so I can get the documentation completely correct.

However, can anyone see what I've done wrong this time, that's preventing me
from logging into the ledgersmb setup screen?