Re: Copying database from 1.2 to 1.3

Hi Frank;

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Frank Cox <..hidden..> wrote:
> Now I see what it's doing, but I don't understand why.
>
> It gave me a list of duplicate part numbers and gave me an opportunity to
> change them to unique part numbers.  There were only four on the list so I
> changed them.
>
> After doing that, it brought me to a screen of duplicated invoice numbers.  A
> lot of them.
>
> I have posted a printout of what I get here:
>
> http://www.frankcox.ca/setup.pdf
>
> What caused this and what is the best way to go about fixing it?  Since the 1.2
> version of the program is still in use, should I have the lady who uses it fix
> the problem there before I import the data "for real"?

A lot of this has to do with data integrity controls being tightened
up between 1.2 and 1.3.  For example, we didn't care about duplicate
part numbers or invoices before.

The best approach is to practice migrating a copy of your database.
You can create a copy of your database when it is not being used by
typing from the command line:

createdb -T old_dbname -U postgres new_dbname;

Note that fixing this stuff pre-migration is the only part of the
1.2-1.3 migration which cannot be backed out of.  If you are
comfortable with it you can just go ahead and fix in this process.
1.2 will continue to function until you actually finish the migration.