Installation on Windows

I am just intalling LedgerSMB on Windows XP - I am also new to PERL.  I have
all required software and PERL modules and got through the INSTALL
instructions until:

  $ perl Makefile.PL

I get the reply:

  Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory

I tried installing the module Makefile.PL which installed
Filter-Crypto-1.35, but get the same response.

Any suggestions - I just need to get up and running!

Thanks,

Paul