Re: PostgreSQL and Perl - which version?

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Thomas Bullock <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi List,
>

> I am studying the LSMB install process.  The current stable LSMB version is
> listed as 1.2.25 and the corresponding system requirements for:
>
> ·         Perl 5.8 or higher  - newest release is 5.14.1

I don't know of any issues with Perl 5.12, and we use 5.10 in a lot of
our development testing.  No reports yet of issues from 5.14.

One thing to keep in mind is that the old SQL-Ledger code has a number
of scoping issues and these sometimes cause issues with Perl releases.
 If it were up to me I'd stick with 5.12 at the moment but bug reports
specific to 5.14 can be filed and we will address them quickly.

> ·         PostgreSQL 8.1 or higher – newest release is 9.1

Currently there is no reason to think 9.1 will have any issues with
LedgerSMB.  However, my general advice for PostgreSQL is:
If you have a use for the new features, go with the latest.  If not,
wait until a couple minor releases (maybe 9.1.2 or so) before moving.
If you need replication, that would be a good reason to go with 9.1
(it's better than 9.0 in that regard).  If not, 9.0 is a better bet.

> ·         Apache (version not specified) – newest release 2.2.21

Sure.  Should work.  No concerns there at all.

> My question: Should I be using current release minus some number of versions
> to get to a version that has been well tested and many know it works well
> with LSMB 1.2.25?

To be honest, and I will sound crazy for saying this, but virtually
all the bugs we are working on for 1.3 at the moment are installation
bugs.  If this is a new installation and you are willing to help us
test the installation routines, I think 1.3 is currently more secure
and robust than 1.2.25.  It's just installation and upgrade that is
the problem right now.  Not to say we don't have some bugs there but
these bugs have been pretty minor for a while.  No major bugs reported
for some time.

If you are feeling adventurous feel free to try RC3 when it comes out
(estimated to come out tomorrow).