Re: 1.3 server setup over the internet

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM, John Griessen <..hidden..> wrote:
> On 07/22/2011 04:15 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
>  > 2)  Password authentication against PostgreSQL passwords (recommended
>  > for most users)
>  > 3)  Password authentication against an external source, like PAM or
>  > LDAP (optional, might make sense for some users)
>
> Not sure if I will be using 2 or 3.  To me, PAM is a system I must use,
> but don't fully understand yet.

Ok.  In that case I'd recommend starting with #2 (simpler, easier to
maintain and troubleshoot), and switch to #3 if you find you have a
need to.  #3 is mostly needed in cases where you are shooting for a
single sign-on approach.

> On 07/22/2011 04:15 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
>> If you are doing it all yourself, the reason for separation of duties
>> is t
> to be ready for change to more people involved.

Ok.   I'd recommend waiting at least until RC1 if not beyond then
unless the need becomes more urgent.

The current status is that the accounting side, in terms of entering
correct data and in terms of reporting is generally believed to be
pretty close to rock solid.  However, there are new features that are
necessary to finish up.

Typically when we get a problem report for 1.3 it is "such and such a
feature is not letting me do this..."  Or even "All my reports are
right but when reconciliation is broken for credit-normal accounts."
We haven't had a data integrity or stored vs actual number issue since
the early beta days.

It's not really ready for general users right now because of the rough
edges and the fact that it's a little maintenance heavy when the
branch is in such active development.  However, if you need the
reconciliation functions or the separation of duties functions....

> On 07/22/2011 04:15 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
>  > I am working on an add-on for counting and adjusting inventory, and
>  > in this regard you;d have one person entering the inventory and
>  > possibly someone else generating the internal invoices accounting for
>  > the differences.
>
> Sounds good.

The main work on this has actually already been done against 1.2 btw.
It's largely a matter of porting my custom work forward.