Re: User proposal: File attachments to Orders and AR/AP/GL transactions in 1.3

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:

> Are you saying (re existing transactions), that if I was creating an
> order, I could not attach a file?  Instead I would create the order, save
> it, then go to reports, search for it, pull it up as an existing
> transaction, and then attach the file?
> If you're saying that, I note that i would not prefer that method.

No.  One of the big changes in 1.3 is that you cannot print or email
before you save.  This is to avoid the (unfortunately common) problem
of printing out an invoice, sending it to the customer, and then
forgetting to post the invoice, save the order, or the like.  So what
we are doing is having these screens return to the posted invoice or
saved order after posting or saving.

So here you save, print/email (possibly with a checkbox enabled to
save the document generated automatically).

Thinking about this, we probably need a button with a key combination
attached to it which allows one to open a new
invoice/order/transaction screen.

>> Additionally considering adding a checkbox to automatically attach an
>> invoice being emailed or printed.
>
> Meaning that the file(s) attached (one checkbox per file) would be
> included with the email/print job?
> Easy enough for email, but printing might be another matter.

Why would it be harder for printing?

>> The file attachment screen would prompt for input for file type and
>> name, and would allow the upload of the file.  If the file name is not
>> provided the file name of the upload would be used.
>
> It should auto determine type.  One of the libraries, or even the "file"
> command, or fallback to extension.
> (Assuming that's what you mean by type [MIME type].)

Thinking about this.