Re: An Actual Payroll Module - When?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> 1)  Doing state tax witholding, since this can be different in every
>> state in the US
>
> What's worse, is that these things do not change predictably
> from state to state, so keeping it accurate would be a nightmare.
>
> What is probably needed is some national subscription based database of
> rules, that is updated very! regularly, and is sponsored by users or
> clients or some such.  Even so, doing that without CPAs on staff would be
> tricky and lawsuite prone I would think.

No kidding.  The bigger issue though is quite simply that this is a
lot of tax jurisdictions to track and someone needs to be keeping up
on all of it and sending relevant questions to the appropriate
accountants.

For those who are CPA's in our community, I think there is a viable
market for maintaining such modules on a subscription basis however it
works.  While I'd be willing to partner on such an effort, there is no
way I can do it alone.

I've noted in the past that only a minority of my own customers (on
other services) who used Quickbooks actually used the payroll
functionality.

> That's why they have payroll companies.:(

Indeed.