how do I post a deposit for future services

This may be more of an accountant question than an application usage
question.  I'm not sure.

My books are a bit of a mess because I've been using invoices to bill
for a deposit, to cover services which are then invoiced again once
they are rendered.  The second invoice documents the actual services
rendered.  But now my books show two invoices and one payment for the
services actually rendered.  How is it I can generate a statement
seeking payment in advance of a deposit on future services, without
creating this mess, please?  I need things to balance and for my
outstanding receivables reports to give me accurate information.

Any clues would be appreciated.

--
Hugh Esco
skype: hresco3_ ; 678-921-8186 x21