Re: Installing on a Mac?

Jigme Datse wrote:
I'm trying to install on a Mac, and I've got as far as I feel
confident about.  I have PostgreSQL installed, I have XAMPP installed,
the initial databases are created.  I'm at the point of doing the Perl
modules, and see several are missing from XAMPP Perl, and I'm trying
to figure out how to install those.

Step 0: make sure you have a compiler installed. The typical method of doing so is to install the XCode Developer Tools from your MacOSX CDs or DVDs; the XCode packages can also be downloaded from Apple if necessary but they're huge.

Step 1: figure out how to invoke the XAMPP-bundled version of Perl. Simply typing "perl" at the command prompt is almost certain to invoke the MacOS-supplied version of perl, which just won't do. I can't find much documentation on this - as best I can tell, you'll need to invoke "/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin/perl". And if you want to use the CPAN module, you may want to simply prepend "/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin" to your PATH before trying anything. (Do that with the command: 'export PATH="/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin:${PATH}"' minus the single-quotes, and then you can just type "perl" in that terminal session instead of the full path.)

Step 2: run "perl -MCPAN -e shell" to start the CPAN interactive shell. See any ordinary CPAN documentation from here on out - as long as the XAMPP version of perl is first in your path while you install the modules, all the files should magically go to the right places.

--
-Adam Thompson
 <..hidden..>