Re: Items ordered by description

Awesome answer.  Thanks a lot.

-edu-

--- El mar 19-ene-10, Stroller <..hidden..> escribió:

De: Stroller <..hidden..>
Asunto: Re: [Ledger-smb-users] Items ordered by description
A: ..hidden..
Fecha: martes, 19 enero, 2010, 12:03 am

Please don't  hijack threads, by right-clicking on them & changing the
subject. Instead please send a new message to the list's address - in
most GUI mail clients you can right-click on the address and choose
"new message to sender".

On 19 Jan 2010, at 03:31, Eduardo Huertas wrote:
> Everytime I create an invoice or quotation or sales order, I guess
> is the same module, I have to select the items to add them to the
> invoice for example.  In this task would be very practical to have
> the items ordered by description to look for the item to select.
> Can somebody tell me where I can make this modification to the source?

You know you can filter by part number, right?

So if you sell computer parts you can type "PSU" in the "Number" filed
and only power supplies - i.e PSU-001, PSU-055, &c - will be offered
for selection. The search is not dependent on the characters being at
the start of the string, so also ATX-PSU-99 and WW-PSU will be shown.

I suspect you know this already, however.

Wikipedia offers sortable tables, such as the two in this article:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._executive_branch_czars>

If you click on the little icon to the right of the column header then
you will see the sort performed.

Apparently this is done with CSS & _javascript_. Some technical details
are at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Sorting>, and there is a
link to some source code at <http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/skins/common/wikibits.js?revision=61023&view=markup
>. If you search down for "sort" you'll see it's based on code by
Stuart Langridge <http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/
and Joost de Valk <http://www.joostdevalk.nl/code/sortable-table/>.

I think this would be a great feature to add to LedgerSMB.

If you look at Langridge's license, I think it's acceptable for you to
base a patch on. You could either just use an include which pointed to
his sorttable.js and just follow the 1,2,3 steps he describes, but it
might be better to (check the license and) base off the wikipedia
code, as it may be  more up-to-date with bug-fixes (for non-standards
compliant browsers, for instance) than Langridge's - at a casual
glance that appears to be unchanged since 2007. de Valk's example is
certainly prettier, but I'm not sure if that's a function of the
_javascript_ or just of CSS; he says he has fixed some bugs, but his
sortable.js (<http://yoast.com/code/sortable-table/current/
sortable.js>) seems also to be dated 2007. It is MIT Licensed.

I'd guess you're probably be best basing your patch off the 1.3
codebase, as I'd imagine that is the best place for inclusion in
future releases.

Stroller.