Accounting: money orders

Hello

I am looking for the best practice to book a money order.

Specifically:

1.  On 9/15, purchase a money order for $100.  Cost of order: $0.50.
Total: $100.50

2.  On 10/15, issue and send that money order to a vendor for services.

How would this normally be handled?

I could do a simple AP transaction, with the $100.00 attributed to the
proper expense account, the funds drawn from cash, and the $0.50 against
a Banking/Credit Costs expense account or the like.

However, that does not really reflect the dates correctly, and just seems
less than perfect in general.

Advice?

Thanks

Luke