Re: Sizes of companies using LSMB

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a listing (formal or informal) of sizes and types of businesses using LSMB?

A friend (and a fellow small business computer person) and I are looking to expand the usage of LSMB. One of the first questions we're trying to field is what sizes and types of business are using LSMB. I believe the United States "Small Business Administration (SBA) classify small as being less than 500 employees. Can anyone beat that? :-)

Anyone willing/able to share the size of their company and how LSMB is being used? And those that provide LSMB support and can share please also.

We're not, at this time, looking for names just some general information.

TIA,
Rod
My business definitely doesn't meet the cruel 500 employee mark!
I think the correct term is "micro-business"

This year has been the worst I've seen since I started up about 12 years ago.
I had a seizure in March which made things even worse --Maybe or maybe not!

I dislocated a shoulder and suffered badly from the various drugs the doctors tried (until the latest).

But, I have no control over the economy. This "tragic" event may have been a blessing. Since I couldn't work well and also didn't get much work anyway, I spent the past couple of months learning a lot of PostgreSQL and mod_perl programming. Admittedly, mod_perl isn't relevant to LSMB directly but it teaches one to program perl perfectly, or else!

After looking at MySQL and PostgreSQL, I now completely understand why only PostgreSQL is supported by LSMB. PostgreSQL is tougher to learn but does all those things you need to do, and pretty well!

My skills are now approaching a level where I may be able to offer some technical help with LSMB.

As far as my opinion in general, I found that LedgerSMB was pretty much the one and only accounting program that met my simple but essential needs:
1. Open Source.
2. Written in a language I could follow - Perl.
3. Face the Facts, Open Source is Free. (and we can offer up changes to meet our own personal needs!)

I just don't have a big enough income to pay a yearly fee to follow the flock with proprietary software.
I left that world a few years ago and I have no regrets.

Chris Bennett

  -- Robert Heinlein