Re: Groups

Chris Travers wrote:
On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:52 PM, John Bell <..hidden..> wrote:
Products can be assigned to a group. Other than the POS interface, how
can I view the contents of a group?

As I wrote this, I thought that there is little logical difference
between a group and an assembly. A group is a collection of parts, an
assembly is a collection of parts where the quantity can be varied.

So, to answer my own question, I will probably use virtual assemblies as
this seems to be more developed than groups. It also enables me to have
heirachical groups.

Groups are collections of parts from the POS interface perspective.
They are not bundles (as assemblies might be).  Currently I don't know
of a way to list by partsgroup off the top of my head, but we could
add that easily enough.

Chris,

I can see the the functionality of groups is not well developed. My point is that, logically, a group and an assembly are very similar; they are collections of objects. As you have methods to list assemblies, the same methods could be used to list groups. "assemblies of type=group".

My perspective is that I would like to be able to group my parts & assemblies so that If I'm looking for. say, a bearing, I can look in the group "bearings", but this would need to be heirachical, so that I can build up a tree of groups to arrive at the part I'm after.

John