Re: Prepayments redux

John Hasler wrote:
I just found what I think is the relevant regulation:
<http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19952518_en_4.htm> Remarkable document.

To be fair, that's actually primary legislation - a Statutory Instrument is actual law, as passed by parliament. It's not intended as a fluffy, friendly guideline document.

VAT law, at least as far as the inner workings, is mainly harmonised across the various European Union countries although the fine detail (what falls into what category and how what %age on each) is done at national level.

In any case, in the absence of advice from a British accountant I'd send
the pre-payer a credit memo containing all the stuff the regulation appears
to require.

The concept of a pro-forma invoice is familiar to most small business people.

--
Adrian Chapman
Director, Trivas Ltd