Re: VAT Rate Change

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 13:24 +0000, Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It's possible to add additional tax rates.
>
> The most obvious use of this is if you're also selling stuff which
> comes under the 5% rate (books & children's clothes?) - there's
> checkboxes which allow you to specify if 5% or 17.5% to a specific
> item, and I think these can also be changed on a per-order basis, too.
>
> Since the new VAT rate is only promised for a year, anyway, is it
> possible to add the new VAT rate as a separate & new rate and then use
> that instead? I think this would be less headache if the VAT rate
> rises again in 2011 or so.
>
> LedgerSMB is the one thing I back-up religiously (I fear for my photos
> & music, having said that!), so it would not be too onerous for me to
> restore from a recent snapshot & reenter a handful of invoices.
>
> Considering LedgerSMB's roots, I would fear simply changing the VAT
> rate, as you have already done. I would be much more comfortable
> adding in a new one, and knowing that invoices before & after the
> change are referencing separate entities in the database.
>
> Stroller.

Thanks for that. Using a new rate would have been a good idea, but
unfortunately it means changing the VAT on each end every part (30,000!)
- probably a doddle for dBase type but worrying to do myself.

The issue has arisen due to returns charged at the old rate, and
preparing for year-end where I may well have to correct mistakes. As far
as I can see I have to change the rate, re-start, and hope a customer
doesn't come in in the meantime, and hope I don't forget to re-start
with the new rate. HMC&E offer no help - apparently working through
Christmas is ok by them, but they could not provide an invoice address
for my time. Needless to say any errors will attract penalties in the
usual way.

I'm a little surprised the LSMB recalculates an old invoice, including
the VAT, when it is opened.

Cheers
Richard