Re: VAT Rate Change

On 9 Dec 2008, at 09:04, beamends wrote:
we recently had a change in VAT (GST) in the UK. Our idiot government
only gave us 1 week to alter everything, but with all the other stuff to
be done I've finished up with invoices/receipts to be process from
before the change.

Is there anyway of changing the VAT rate temporarily for the current
document without changing the system set-up? Also, if I do change the
VAT rate back temporarily, are there likely to be any knock-on effects?

Hi there,

It's possible to add additional tax rates.

The most obvious use of this is if you're also selling stuff which comes under the 5% rate (books & children's clothes?) - there's checkboxes which allow you to specify if 5% or 17.5% to a specific item, and I think these can also be changed on a per-order basis, too.

Since the new VAT rate is only promised for a year, anyway, is it possible to add the new VAT rate as a separate & new rate and then use that instead? I think this would be less headache if the VAT rate rises again in 2011 or so.

LedgerSMB is the one thing I back-up religiously (I fear for my photos & music, having said that!), so it would not be too onerous for me to restore from a recent snapshot & reenter a handful of invoices.

Considering LedgerSMB's roots, I would fear simply changing the VAT rate, as you have already done. I would be much more comfortable adding in a new one, and knowing that invoices before & after the change are referencing separate entities in the database.

Stroller.