Re: Nonprofit usage?

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:05:22 -0600, ERACC Subscriptions wrote:

> On Friday 21 November 2008
> Wayne Moses Burke wrote:
>
>> Greetings LedgerSMB World!
>>
>> Is anyone out there successfully using LedgerSMB for Fund Accounting?
>>
>> I have managed to get it installed, but of course it's a bit of a blank
>> slate at first. I have an accountant who focuses on nonprofits, but I want
>> to give him whatever information I can going in (since the nonprofit world
>> runs on QuickBooks).
>>
>> Best,
>> Wayne
>
> I too would like to know about this. Our company does business with
> non-profits and they all use QuickBooks. I would like to be able to offer
> them an *easy* FOSS alternative with LedgerSMB (Okay, it is not "easy" but it
> is an alternative.). Since QuickBooks is oriented to "GUI stupids" this might
> be an "impossible sell" in most cases since LedgerSMB is most definitely not
> catering to the "GUI stupids". But I would be interested to see if anyone has
> managed to get a non-profit to use LedgerSMB.
>
> Gene Alexander

I find it interesting that QuickBooks is well-regarded and capable in the
nonprofit space.

Some years ago, I observed a nonprofit implementing Fund Based Accounting
with an expensive legacy system commonly used by Municipalities.

At the time, this nonprofit was under the impression that there was no
decent alternative for Fund Based Accounting.

Has QuickBooks directly supported Fund Based Accounting in their Wizard
and Interview tools?

It's certainly a worthwhile objective for LedgerSMB to implement FBA with
COA setup templates and sufficient documentation for integrators to apply
the necessary controls.