Re: Assemblies

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:53 AM, beamends <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I wonder if someone could help here. I'm trying to work out how to enter
> the following onto the system.
>
> I have a kit of parts that I want to offer the option of assembling for
> the customer, so the assembly would be:
>
> 1-off kit
> 1-off assembly charge
> 1-off (optional) full assembly charge.
>
> The assembly charges are all in-house, but when I go to the "Add
> Labour/Overhead" screen the Link Accounts are 1001-Stock or 1002 Work In
> Progress and 5000--Materials Purchased/Imported - this doesn't seem
> right, particularly as there is a "On Hand" in the lower right corner,
> which implies some sort of stock holding. Adding a Service is similar,
> With 4000 Sales and 5000--Materials Purchased/Imported.
>
> I might have be going completely the wrong way of course, basicaly I
> need to issue an invoice with the kit price plus an assembly charge(s)
> which is pure labour at so-much-per-hour, but I don't want to "stock"
> the assembly charge, just add it when required.
>
> Have I got something wrong?

I don't think so.  I have noticed on-hand numbers get changed on
services even though one doesn't keep them in inventory.  This is just
something we haven't got around to looking at more carefully (expect
1.4 to redesign this entirely).  As best I can tell, SQL-Ledger used
"on-hand" numbers differently for services than for parts.

Are there any concerns relating to the numbers that show up in your books?