Credit Card Accounting

Our company has a credit card, as I am sure most companies do.  I can't
seem to wrap my head around getting ledger to account for the credit card
properly.

I created a new ledger 2150 - American express

Now, let's say I have 25 purchases using the credit card over the month I
need to account for.  Do I add each one of those purchases one at a time in
the "Vender Transaction" interface?  If I am purchasing inventory I have to
use the "Vendor Invoice" interface, as there is no way to effect Inventory
otherwise.

Furthermore, Paying the invoice using the 2150 account, there is then now
way to link the payment of my amex card to that same account, or at least
none that I can tell.  I am probably doing something wrong, and I am sure
my vocabulary isn't kosher.  Is this easier than I am making it out to be,
if so can someone enlighten me?