Re: Inward Shipping Charges

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Travers <..hidden..>
To: ..hidden..
Sent: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:43
Subject: Re: [Ledger-smb-users] Inward Shipping Charges

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM,  <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi All,
> One of our suppliers has started adding a surcharge on heavy inward orders.
> How do I add this to a Vendor Invoice - "Add A Service" seems to be all
> outward bound, and if I add a Part my stock report will be wrong. Any ideas?

A service could be used for the moment.

However, there is a slight problem with this which should be
understood since it would later require some possibility of adjustment
if you care about comparable numbers and inventory:

Shipping and handling ideally should be tracked as part of COGS. I.e.
if you purchase a service, it shows up immediately as an expense when
it probably should be added to the unit price for COGS purposes.

However, for most businesses, this probably does not impact
year-to-year comparability much, IMO.

I've no problem with it being a service since the charge could could be
on one item or spread over 100 different items so allocating it to
individual parts is pretty much impossible. The hitch is when trying
to add a service the only options are for income and materials, which
isn't what I think I need - I'd have thought it would be misc expense.
I could enter it separately as a AP item, but that would be difficult
to track when it appears as a line item on our suppliers invoice (plus
the invoice total would be wrong) - is there a way to do this?

Cheers
Richard