refund / invoice / Too many reversed items on an invoice

> Hi,
>
> we tried to make an "refund" invoice.
>
> In detail we delivered some goods, and now some of them came back. In
> such a case we normally generate an invoice with negative quantity of
> the goods.
>

> In this case, every line has an negative quantity and value.
> And the invoice is printing fine.
>
> But we can't book it. If we try we get an error:
>     Too many reversed items on an invoice
>
> Any explantion? How can a refund fail if we get our products back?
>
> --
> Florian Reitmeir

challenge
prizes
world

We are experiencing the same issue with 1.2.13.  In our case though I
believe I may have narrowed down the cause which may suggest that the
system is working as designed, but we probably need feedback on how to
properly handle such a scenario in the future.  In our case this is what I
believe has happened:

1. We created a Vendor Invoice and purchased one product # 1001 (qty = 1
after vendor invoice)
2. Customer purchases one product # 1001 via POS (qty = 0 after sale)
3. A different customer comes in an exchanges one product # 1001 that they
purchased from another store (unbeknownst to us).  (qty = 1 after
exchange)
4. Original customer from step # 2 above exchanges their one product #
1001 that they purchased from us for another product (qty = 2 after
exchange)

Since our original Vendor Invoice shows we purchased just one of these
products, I believe that is causing the error 'Too many reversed items on
an invoice'  when we attempt to complete step # 4 in LedgerSMB.

Obviously, we prefer not to allow exchanges of products not purchased from
our store, but it is impossible to alleviate this scenario completely
unless we force the customer to show a receipt in all cases for exchanges
or returns.  In today's environment that is not really realistic in the
case of exchanges, therefore, we need a way to handle the rare case where
we have a customer come in to exchange a product, that was purchased
elsewhere, but that we carry also.

Regards,
Steve