Re: postgresql 8.3

> I'm afraid I've done it again, not read carefully enough.
> After a succesful installation of sql-ledger on a shared host - plus
> purchasing a subscription, I saw I had work to do to adapt the installation
> to Australian accounting terms.
> The financial year has just started and I have lots of transactions to add.
> I realized that
> 1) I'd rather contribute to ledgerSMB than Sql-Ledger;
> 2) My host's postgres 7.x would not do it;
> 3) porting to ledger-smb was tricky for me;
> 4) with little data added, there was little to lose by starting afresh.
> So I got a Hawkhost shared account with Postgres 8.3 and tried the admin.pl
> install. No luck so far in spite of tweaks....
> -*Then* I read your comments.
> Question 1:
> Where do you think I stand? What are my chances of a successful install ?

Very good.  Just not 100% guaranteed.  See below.

If you get type errors, we can fix those fast.

> Q2: How long to wait before Pg 8.3 is suppported?

LSMB 1.2.13 and later should run with few if any problems on Pg 8.3.
1.2.15 (in release candidate now, hoping to release early next week)
should fix the last known issue, and it only affects POS
installations.  This should suggest that 8.3 should work well at
present on the latest version.

We have largely been conservative at saying "It's supported" because
8.3 is a big change and as soon as we say that Murphy's law will kick
in :-).

Currently it is supported on a best effort basis.  Thus far that has
meant "the bugs are easy to find and fix" but there is no guarantee of
that in the future.  Fortunately, the result of a bug of this sort is
an error.

A bigger issue is Perl 5.10.0 but we will have the main issue there
fixed in 1.2.16 (to be committed as soon as 1.2.15 is released).  A
patch is available to those who need it.

Hope this helps,
Chris Travers