Re: unreferenced scalar

Sorry, one error in my previous post, when I have one item in the POS->sale screen, and hit print and post, regardless of whether I enter payment information or not, the transaction gets recorded and shows up, but I still get the error message at the top of the frame:
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x942c658, Perl interpreter: 0x8170008 at bin/pos.pl line 967.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Miller <..hidden..>
To: ..hidden..
Subject: [Ledger-smb-users] unreferenced scalar
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:00:48 -0700

I am having a very difficult time tracking this issue down, I am hoping I can get some direction on how to proceed.
The problem goes like this:
if I use the POS=>sale and enter one item, then print and post, everything moves through fine.  When I add a second item, I get at the top of the page two lines:

Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x942c658, Perl interpreter: 0x8170008 at bin/pos.pl line 967.

When I do not add a payment entry into the POS screen, I also get at that bottom of the frame:

Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x944e360, Perl interpreter: 0x8170008 at menu.pl line 156

When I add a few items to the POS=>sales screen and enter some payment information, then print and post, I get the following:

Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x942cc50, Perl interpreter: 0x8170008 at bin/pos.pl line 967.

Error!

menu.pl:88: panic: attempt to copy value 50 to a freed scalar 951e2d0 at /usr/share/perl/5.10/Math/BigInt.pm line 2897.

Value 50, I believe, is referring to the value I put in the amount field of the payment information.

I did have libmath-bigint-gmp-perl, installed, but on advice from metatrontech in irc, I removed it.  When I tested it immediately after uninstalling it, I did not get that panic, but it seems to have returned.

my apache logs show:

[Fri Jul 11 12:13:10 2008] [error] [client 207.189.252.14] Math::BigInt: couldn't load specified math lib(s), fallback to Math::BigInt::FastCalc at LedgerSMB/Form.pm line 36, referer: http://ledger.thredz/ledgersmb/ps.pl

I see nothing of note in the postgres logs.

I have spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to trace this problem, but I have made no particular progress.  To my understanding, a scalar is a variable.  However, tracing the variables on the lines referenced in the errors is very overwhelming, I quickly get lost trying to sort through the code.  Since this is a variable, from my understanding, this could be a bad field in the database, a misconfiguration within ledgersmb, or a misconfiguration within one of the referenced perl modules.

After reading way too many articles, I am coming to the conclusion that the problem is within perl itself, or perhaps with the Debian specific implementation of it.  I have encountered a few articles that were written recently referring to bugs in perl and referencing scalar errors, but none of those reports seem to reflect exactly my problem.  Unfortunately, I am not good enough with perl to make generalized references, so one of these reports may be describing my problem in terms I am not understanding.

I also have an sql-ledger box running on another computer, and am getting an unreferenced scalar error there as well.  A member of the forum boards at the sql-ledger site also concluded that  the problem is related to perl, or Suse's implementation of it.  His resolution was to install a downgraded virtual machine.  I will explore this as a possibility, but I worry about the potential problem of adding complexity to the end users.

Short of actually trying to dissect the whole batch of code, I am out of ideas as to how to find the cause of this problem.  Hopefully someone can suggest some troubleshooting tips to get me on track to figuring it out...

Bob Miller
334-7117/633-3760
http://computerisms.ca
..hidden..