Re: Interesting coverage of our project on the SQL-Ledger-users list

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 09:14 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> Just as a note here:

> > Let me be real blunt. I quit if we support MySQL. I have zero desire to
> > go down that path (or Oracle or otherwise). The only way I would
> > consider it, would be if there was a valid technological reason to
> > reconsider PostgreSQL as our platform. MySQL does not equate and neither
> > does Oracle. People running LedgerSMB don't need RAC :)
>
> Just to be equally blunt:  your opinion is not the only voice on the
> subject and if we generally disagreed with the notion then you would
> no doubt quit ;-)

:P

>   But we don't disagree.  The fact is that every
> member of the core team backed that decision its merits.  This is and
> was a core committee decision based on concensus, not based on
> worrying about whether or not CMD would be a part of the project.

Well of course not. CMD isn't relevant to this anyway.

> My main point is that the decision to support PostgreSQL only is a
> decision supported by every core committee member and not something
> which is based on one company's interest in the project.    Instead it
> is based on the merits of the choice based largely on the criteria I

Did I miss something? Who was making a statement that it is on one
companies best interest? We (as you already pointed out) picked
PostgreSQL because it is the best solution.

> If someone wanted to port to Oracle, MS SQL, etc. I would be more than
> happy to provide high-level pointers.  However, I would not expect to
> provide a great deal of time and effort, and I would not expect it to
> be something that would make it into the community distribution.

Sure, as I mentioned, I would applaud any effort to do that it just
isn't something I am interested in having LedgerSMB proper do.

> > Actually I don't agree with this. People that are going to really want
> > to run LSMB are already running FireFox.
>
> For now.  However, I expect the appeal to become broader as the
> software gets better.

Yep, right around the time Firefox has 45% of the market :P

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake