Re: Dot matrix multipart form printing?

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:03 AM, ERACC Subscriptions <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am a LedgerSMB novice that has put himself in need of assistance. I've been
> lurking on the list reading messages and looked through the archives at
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=ledger-smb-users for
> any information on this. I have not seen the answer I need so far. I need to
> move fast on this so if any of you have even a partial answer, can point me
> to a FAQ with the answers and/or to a manual page or three please reply.
>
> I have a potential LSMB user that needs to print on three part, plain,
> pin-feed form paper for many of their Point of Sale transactions that deal
> with credit accounts for state schools. Their current PoS system (Advantage
> Accounting PoS, http://www.rtsco.com/) does this using fast, plain text print
> jobs to 'lp' based printers on an SCO OpenServer system (in this case one at
> lpt0 the other on a multi-port serial board port). Since SCO appears to be
> imploding and their current server hardware is "dying" I have talked these
> folk into trying LSMB on Linux but they have to have this multipart form
> printing capability.
>
> I asked for an explanation of why they have to have multipart forms. Here is
> what they have to do to satisfy the state school system's accounting
> department and be "allowed" to sell to state schools. The Point of Sale
> printout must be on 8.5"x11" multipart paper as required by the state. The
> teachers buying supplies against these credit accounts are required to sign
> the multipart printout and keep one copy to deliver to their school office.
> Another copy stays at the store and then is delivered at the end of each
> month to the school's overseeing local school board with the bill to be paid.
> The original part stays at the Point of Sale location for them to present in
> case of a state audit of a school's purchases. They have to keep this
> original for at least three years. Isn't bureaucratic nonsense just peachy?
>
> I know I can set up an Epson impact printer with ESC/P2 capability to print
> correctly using one of the CUPS Epson inkjet drivers. I have an Epson LQ-570+
> here that I use on rare occasions which prints raster type jobs well using
> the "Stylus 800 Foomatic/stcolor" driver. It will also print plain text jobs
> if I bypass the CUPS driver and send the print request directly to the
> parallel port with embedded printer control codes. There are three questions
> I need answered:
>
> 1.  Will an impact printer work well with printing from LSMB?

Sure.  Just like any other printer.

> 2.  Is anyone successfully using an impact printer with LSMB in a Point of
> Sale situation?

Yes.  The POS modules are a little bit more complex than and less
documented than the rest of the software, so you may need some
assistance in setting this up.

> 3.  Is it possible to have fast, plain text print jobs from LSMB or do all
> print jobs have to go through the slower raster type printing with Latex ->
> postscript?

POS invoices support text formats.  We also support direct-to-port
printing, bypassing CUPS (to avoid queueing and allow for better
low-level control).  This is mostly needed where documents might be
queued multiple times.