Re: Dot matrix multipart form printing?

On 3 Jun 2008, at 17:03, ERACC Subscriptions wrote:
I know I can set up an Epson impact printer with ESC/P2 capability to print correctly using one of the CUPS Epson inkjet drivers. I have an Epson LQ-570+ here that I use on rare occasions which prints raster type jobs well using the "Stylus 800 Foomatic/stcolor" driver. It will also print plain text jobs
if I bypass the CUPS driver and send the print request directly to the
parallel port with embedded printer control codes. There are three questions
I need answered:

1.  Will an impact printer work well with printing from LSMB?

2. Is anyone successfully using an impact printer with LSMB in a Point of
Sale situation?

3. Is it possible to have fast, plain text print jobs from LSMB or do all print jobs have to go through the slower raster type printing with Latex ->
postscript?

Quick, if inadequate, answer: it should work fine if you can print Postscript to the printer (and it sounds like it will). I'd imagine you might get best results using a large sans-serif font; since you also, I think, need landscape paper format you might find this invoice.tex useful <http://tinyurl.com/5jdnkk>.

I think the nub of your question is the text-mode question - the LedgerSMB manual is at http://tinyurl.com/3mzatz [PDF] and states:
  Receipt Printers: ESC/POS printers generally work in text mode.
  Control sequences can be embedded in the template as necessary.
but I don't find further details. I'm sure someone else will be along later with more information.

You might also find the recent "pos hardware information" thread useful - http://tinyurl.com/58munc

Stroller.