Re: At the end of my teather with LSMB

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 19:36 +0100, Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,

<snip>

It you are the worst at deadlines etc, then I must be a very close
second!

I agree 100% with stuff above, and yes I did rather miss interpret how
your use your book-keeper.

> But, honestly, you wouldn't employ someone without any Photoshop
> experience to airbrush the cover of Vogue, not would you employ an
> AutoCAD operator who has never used the program before. Why do you
> expect Ledger-SMB to be easy?

That's easy - because the old system is/was. Bearing in mind I've been
using that for just over 10 years, I'd rather expected things to have
moved on - I had some training on Pegasus (then flavour of the month)
many moons ago on my degree course and thought then, as I do now, all it
did was automate the ledgers rather than simplify process (I'm talking
the mechanics of the thing, printing invoices etc and stock control are
sort of separate things if you see what I mean) . AutoCAD is actually a
good example, or was back then AutcCAD 3 days - that simply automated
the existing paper drawing process (always measuring from a datum etc)
and got very confusing for anything tricky. We then had a few hours on
CadKey, which looked at it from the (non technical) users view and it
was a dream - anyone could produce a "proper" drawing in no time. You
could add a line to a line and the system did the sums and warned if
anything was un-demensioned. Doubtless it would need some checking
before production could use it (machining constraints etc), but that's
equivalent to end-of-year which needs an accountants input - well,
actually it doesn't, I used to do all the returns myself, even dealing
with daft letters from Companies House, but sheer volume of work has put
a stop to that. Plus I hate doing it! That's why duplicate invoice
numbers, no credit notes etc are so worrying - Companies House once made
me re-do a set of 3 year old books - were I not able to spot a bunch of
credit notes being entered as invoices I'd been a bit stuffed).

I really do wish I had the skills (and the time I suppose) to actually
do something about it, but sadly my skills are C and Assembler on
embedded real-time systems. I did a 2 week course on SQL, but I'm afraid
my brain just doesn't do dbases for some reason, and Unix/Linux is all
new to me bar a few lectures on my degree (which featured Vi - enough to
put anyone off!).

> Stroller.

Cheers
Richard