Re: A place for line-item notes on the invoice?

Hi Jeff,

I don't have time to look really closely at your TeX markup right now. I can tell you that my own invoice.tex took a good many hours to achieve, so I can't promise that the list will give any magic answers (although a couple of posters to the SQL-Ledger users list used to be very helpful; I haven't received any messages from that list since January, so I don't know if it's still going or if they had a delivery problem with my address).

You can, in fact, get word wrapping within your Part, Description, Qty., Price table, so it may not be necessary to separate the itemnotes from the rest of the part data. Looking at my invoice.tex I see that I've used longtable instead of tabularx to achieve this. See <http://linux.stroller.uk.eu.org/SQL-Ledger/invoice.jpg> - please let me know directly & off-list if I've missed removing any personally identifable data from this screenshot.

But you may prefer for aesthetic reasons to do things the way you discuss. I like the landscape format for my invoices because it gives me more space for the item notes but also (primarily?) because it helps emphasise the uniqueness of the company brand. In order to fit into a standard 1/3 A4 windowed envelope, the invoice is folded in half lengthways, then the right-hand 1/3 is folded back on itself. The address appears correctly in the window. But, anyway, the word- wrapping should work fine also using a standard portrait-format invoice.

If anyone wants a copy of my invoice.tex - the one used for generating the linked invoice - then I'll be glad to supply it, but there has been little interest in my "innovations" in the past.

For LaTeX-related questions the comp.text.tex newsgroup <http:// groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/> is VERY helpful. The FGA (frequently given answer) there is "Can you recreate the problem in a minimal example and post it?", so it is often worth saving all your previous changes in a backup file, then starting again with an empty invoice.tex and working only on the current problem.

Stroller.