Automatic invoices from time cards?

My business is in professional services. I track my time in time
cards. I would like my invoices to include individual entries for
services provide on each day.

I saw the "generate sales order" button, but it grouped all my time
records into one large record when I somehow turned that into an
invoice. It's unreadable and unusable (for me) in that form.

In addition, there might be a bug -- the internal notes did not get
populated from the customer record when creating the invoice from the
sales order while it does when generating the invoice by other means.
Although, I don't remember if I clicked "Update." I believe I did.

For now, I've written a FireWATiR tool that scrapes time cards for a
given customer and generates the invoice, item-by-item. What I haven't
yet figured out is how LedgerSMB knows which time cards have been
invoiced and which haven't. I imagine any auto-generation of invoices
would somehow manage that. I know I can have my tool pay attention to
dates, but something better would be ... well, better.

Thanks in advance for any help....
Best regards,

Jim Ivey