Re: Credit Limit Weirdness & what is NaN?

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Pete Houston wrote:

> > What is "NaN"?
>
> "NaN" is shorthand for "Not A Number" and results from things like
> dividing zero by zero. It is a concept widely used in computing and not
> just restricted to this application or platform.

Okay.  The setting was foreign enough that it didn't register.  I come
more from a background of strict type languages, so didn't run into it
much.  However now that you mention it, that does ring a "duhish" bell.

Still, it is not something that a user should _ever_ see.

 > > Also, especially while working on orders, I see some very weird
> > "remaining" values--starting at zero, I might add a product worth a
> > hundred bucks, another worth fifty, another worth twenty five and change,
> > update some quantities, and the like.  Then I look up at the "remaining"
> > line, and see things like "9".  I do an update and then see "12", and on
> > and on it goes--incrementing or changing in strange and nonsensical ways,
> > even if I just do update after update, without actually changing anything.
>
> I've noticed this too, but on saving the order those running values seem
> to be set to their correct values, so it's not something I've worried
> about overly.

Agreed, which is why I didn't bring it up before now.  I was hoping it
might get ironed out in the upgrade to 1.2.13, but no such luck.

It doesn't particularly matter to me that it happens, but a symptom
without a well understood problem, can often lead to unrecognized or
unseen symptoms, which can come back to take a chunk out of your
posterior some time down the road.
So I am bringing it up, not because I care, but because it concerns me
that such a weird bug is happening with no explanation--what else might be
happening, behind the scenes?

Thanks for your response--I was beginning to think that my posts were only
coming to myself.

Luke